The last 12 months have been amazing for esports at Riot. We held our most-watched League of Legends Worlds championship, and we ran our first global tournaments for VALORANT, Wild Rift, and Legends of Runeterra. On the back of that success, and in our ever-growing focus on our mission to be the most player-focused company in the world, Riot is doubling down on our investment in the esports and fan experience.
The Esports Tech department is a multi-product organization responsible for all software R&D for Riot's Global Esports pillar. This includes tools and platforms for broadcast (Project Stryker), our esports web properties ( and ), our advertising platform (e.g. in-game banners) and our player engagement tools such as Pick-em and Drops. Based on the massive and growing success of LoL and VALORANT Esports, Riot is betting big in two important areas: Unleashing Fandom, and Reinventing the Watch Experience. You can read more about that in our CEO's blog, "Calling the shot: the Next Five Years at Riot Games" and part of that bet is investing in growing the Esports Tech R&D organization.
At Riot we believe in servant leadership, and as the Director of Production you will work with the production leads from each of the products to identify opportunities to assist them as they develop work systems, manage team health, manage project deliverables, and scale out their organizations. As the Director of Production, you will help build new capabilities and systems. For example, building our QA strategy & organization across our products. You will also need to identify opportunities to create cross-organization work systems that allow us to achieve economies of scale, share practices, and work better together.
You will report to the Head of Technology for Riot Global Esports.
- Develop organization-wide work systems to manage activities such as: global annual budgeting, staffing/headcount management, and cross-division tracking
- Create alignment and shared work systems to ensure collaboration between organizations working towards potentially divergent primary goals
- Develop rituals wherein product teams review their commitments/delivery with organizational leadership and hold each other accountable for celebrating successes and learning from failures
- Partner with the Talent organization to ensure that Riot's talent processes are implemented on the department (e.g., performance management, compensation, and promotion systems are consistent and applied based on Talent and Department standards)
- Understand the capabilities of the department and how those match to its strategies to plan for current work and future needs
- Work with department heads around Riot to represent your team's staff, service, and tooling needs
- Create a working environment for our teams that encourages healthy conflict resolution
- Grow Riot's understanding of sustainable development, building sustainability into products and teams
- Establish a QA strategy and build a QA capability for the esports tech organization
- 10+ years experience delivering multiple large-scale, long duration global projects spanning multiple departments or companies
- 2+ years of senior leadership experience shipping large-scale premium products on multiple platforms with a live service component
- 2+ years of senior leadership experience growing leaders, designing scalable organizations, and building healthy, diverse, and inclusive teams
- Experience leading and pivoting multiple teams/processes/efforts through a significant change in direction or operations to achieve common, shared goals
- Experience fluidly adapting methodologies in situations of high product or team complexity, or long duration
- Strong alignment to servant leadership principles and the value and importance of ensuring psychological safety, healthy feedback culture and conflict management within and between teams
- Experience creating new processes based on the needs of unique product and company scenarios
- Experience working in med-large size organizations where collaboration across organizational boundaries is important to success
- Experience leading external development teams
- Senior leadership experience in game development, esports, or entertainment industries (Director of Production, Head of Production, Operations Director)
For this role, you'll find success through craft expertise, a collaborative spirit, and decision-making that prioritizes the delight of players. We will look at your past studies, experience, and your personal relationship with games. If you embody player empathy and care about the experiences of players, this is the role for you!
Riot has a focus on work/life balance, shown by our open paid time off policy, in addition to other perks such as flexible work schedules. We offer medical, dental, and life insurance, parental leave for you, your spouse/domestic partner and children, and a 401k with company match. Check out our benefits pages for more information.
Riot Games fosters a player and workplace experience that values teamwork embodied by the Summoner's Code
and Community Code
. Our culture embraces differences as a strength, and our values are the guiding principles for how we approach work. We are committed to putting diversity and inclusion (D&I) at the center of everything we do, and promoting a fair and collaborative culture where Rioters treat one another with dignity and respect. We encourage you to read more about our value of thriving together
and our ongoing work to build the most inclusive company in Gaming
It's our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles' Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history.